Saturday, April 6, 2024

Tales from the Henhouse

Mr. Denis Kelly a.k.a. Foxy Din

Between 1950 and 1969 , Mr. Denis Kelly was Headmaster of Togher National School. Up to 1961 , it also catered for girls before becoming a boys only school when the new purpose built girls school was constructed further down the road. Denis was affectionately known as " Foxy Din "  to the pupils and the schoolhouse he presided over gained the name of the " Henhouse ". The following memories are from that time period and represent the good , the bad and the ugly as told by the children who attended there.

Confirmation 1970
Last class of old National School


Anonymous: One bizarre incident occurred in the 1950s which revolved around a child having been chastised by a teacher. Fast forward a day later and a posse of men on horseback arrived at the school brandishing shotguns. The teachers quickly locked the doors before the men opened fire delivering several shots aimed at the door before retreating back over the old railway bridge and off into the sunset!

Ann Sisk: " I lived around the corner from the school , but was always last in ( not late ). One day in a hurry I ran off to school and realised I had forgotten to put on my knickers. I was about 6 years old. I was in the horrors and told the teacher. She was shocked , ( this was late 1950's ) and told me to stand out in the back ( this was a space between the two class rooms ). I was a small thing with all these eyes on me , so I ran home. My Mother was very protective of me being the only girl at the time. She put on my underwear and actually marched me down to the school. She called the teacher out so as not to upset the girls. I don't know what was said , but when Mum had gone , the teacher got my sack and turned it upside down. She took my beloved scrap book which was full from relations , told me to pick up my stuff and I wasn't going to see that book again! I didn't tell Mum as I felt I was a very bad girl.  But I cried inside when the girls were playing with theirs. I know this sounds silly , but as I got older I looked in secondhand bookshops for it..... "

Jim Hegarty: " I used to get away with murder. Flor Dullea knew my Father had been in the I.R.A. The Class of 1961 - ( see photo below ) remember when Russia were going to arm Cuba and HM Foxy Din had the map of the world on the wall and pointing out to us where the Russian ships were and how America were blockading their way . Close to WW3 until Russia turned around. President Kennedy never blinked. "

Kathleen Roche : " I used to make a cup of coffee for the Teacher. I would walk slowly back to the classroom making sure not to spill any. I was so desperate to please her. "

Michael Plaice: " Went there from 1963-1971. Flor Dullea was head but had his sister Miss Dullea for junior and senior infants, then Ted Sullivan from 1st to 6th. We were in the new school I think just for a month or two before we finished in the summer of ‘71. Remember the coal fire in the room on the right, prefab round the back, small yard at the front. Remember Ted Sullivan got shingles one summer and came back in September with a beard. It was the first time I’d ever seen a man with a beard. "
 

CJ Forde: " I went there in 1970/71 then to the new school…Remember the coal fire and 6th class used to look after it and bring the tea pot around to the teachers …Think I was in the classroom on the right hand side. Remember Flor Dullea there and Ted Sullivan. "

 
Marian Bird: " I went to the pre fabs behind the centre in 1970/1971 remember trying to climb out the window cause I wanted to go home. My friend Geraldine McCarthy we started together. "


Wblj O'Sullivan : " We got a house transfer (remember those ads in the echo where both parties agreed irrelevant to the city council in city Hall) in 1970 from Bantry Park Road in the Northside to Black Water Grove in the NBA houses. Think our teacher was Mrs Cotter in that old school. Happy days before moving to New school Togher B.N.S. "


Dez Papazian : " I started my first 2 years of school there before moving to the new primary school. I remember the lady lighting the fire in the classroom in the morning. "
 

No comments: