Friday, April 29, 2016

Home Thoughts From Abroad - 06 - The Wood For The Trees

A series of posts from the Togher Historical Assoc.'s Facebook group page - I'm From Togher , Boy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The Wood For The Trees
2nd February 2015


Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees. I've often heard this comment but when you apply it to local history , folklore and even legend , it is a very apt descriptor of any community or region. People sometimes ask me what do I see in Togher. Being removed from the area for 30 years brings its own rewards and insights. When I visit Togher , which isn't as often as I would like , I see the place bursting with History. It's as if the ghosts of the past want to be discovered! I see Houses harking back to the 1600s. I see ancient walkways under our very feet trodden by our Ancestors. I see waterways which have flowed for thousands of years. I see the fallout from the last Ice age. I see the remains of deserts and warm shallow oceans. I see 18th and 19th Century walls and buildings still very much intact. It is as if they have been interwoven into the very fabric of our society. The very new is mere feet from the very old! Take a look around and you too will discover the past - your past!

No comments: